Saturday, June 16, 2007

Red of tooth and nail

I looked up Roary's name online and now I'm wondering if I misspelled it. Under a different spelling (RUAIDHRÍ, pronounced ROR-ee), I found it means "red king" from Irish ruadh "red" combined with rí "king." This was the name of the last high king of Ireland, reigning in the 12th century. Roary is a king, so that fits, since lions are known to be kings. Red? Sometimes his fur looks slightly reddish, in the right light, but maybe there's another meaning. Red of tooth and nail, perhaps?



Upon further reflection, I KNOW I didn't spell his name incorrectly. Couldn't have, because that's the way Roary signs it. Besides, he didn't come from Ireland. He says he's from the Serengeti, in Africa. "Red of tooth and nail" (umm, claw) would fit the life of a lion on the plains of Africa, killing to survive.

That gives me shivers. But surely Roary wouldn't turn on me, would he?
_______________
Afternoon update: Oops! Roary is a bit miffed about the last part of this post and wants to have a talk with me about my lack of trust. The best part? We'll discuss it over grilled salmon this evening!
_______________
Evening update: Excellent meal together. All is well. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Vesper said...

Hi Bonnie,

Roary will certainly not turn on you. And he is very beautiful - I didn't realize it from the small picture.
We might all now have an answer to a question you asked in your first blog "Who can I talk to?" It is wonderful to be connected with people who share such a beautiful and dreadful passion as writing is.