"...some artist risk their lives to create and speak in a hostile environment."The pronoun their refers back to artist. One or the other is incorrect. I read the whole paragraph and know the writer intended the plural artists, yet she consistently used the singular word artist instead;
artist = singular subject
their = plural pronoun
"We learn about many Haitian artist."I think the problem is not about spelling, but about hearing. It's hard to distinguish between the spoken words artist and artists, but they look different on a page. A careful reader should notice that one word has an "s" on the end and the other does not. People cannot spell correctly because they don't read and thus are unable to really hear what is said. Here are other examples of writers having problems with plurals that I've run across today:
many = more than one
artist = singular
"I may be one of the rare person who has not read this book."Cheating in class
"I picked up seven novels and six DVD."
"...a countless amounts of dreams..." (The whole phrase is a mess.)
I discovered another reason why students may be confused about plurals. During yesterday's grammar test, one young man was was looking up something on his large-screen cell phone, which I confiscated until the end of class. I teach at a college, yet his screen showed me that he was looking up "PLURAL." Could you tell me the plurals of bird and baby? Those were two of the eight words on the test. It occurred to me that he didn't know the meaning of the word plural. Maybe I should start with vocabulary:plural = more than oneI told my early class yesterday their biggest writing problem was failing to listen to the instructions. A few minutes later one young man said, "Would you repeat that? I was working on something else." No one seemed to notice the irony, and I am rapidly losing hope that I can get through to some of them.
antecedent = preceding
This is the first in a new series about words and writing.



22 comments:
Can you do a post on commas please ;)
The kid who asked for the instructions to be repeated made me laugh and the point about vocab is also extremely important.
I teach many EAL students and the mistake you've highlighted sounds like a typical mistake that learners of English make. It is; however, terrifying when it's native speakers making these basic errors.
Yes, Verilion, they are all native speakers. I asked at the beginning of the semester to be sure I didn't have any ESL (English as a Second Language) students.
Forgot to say -- yes, Verilion, I'll do a post on commas one of these days. My students, want to put, commas just, anywhere in "they're" sentences. (Yes, there-their-they're is another post for another day.)
Just bumped into your blog. I found it very interesting, and was so glad to see someone else has problems with their students. Although I am not a teacher, my best friend is, has taught at CO State, Montana State, and has been at U of H Hilo branch for approx. 20 years. Her speciality is English composition, for years we have joked about her teaching "remedial" writing to incoming freshman classes. She has seen the trend now moving towards "remedial" reading as well. When she refuses to give passing marks on papers handed in, the students "threaten" to go to her supervisor......
She's looking forward to retiring soon.
Love reading your blog, I'm a regular reader, beautifully written. im a writer myself
think you would like some of my blog posts and articles, check out my page: http://davidhatton1987.blogspot.com/
Thank you for wanting people to write right. I will follow your blogs to assist me in making sure I write right.
I was looking at all the beautiful writing awards. I don't anticipate ever getting one. :) As hard as I try to proof my writing, I see a mistake once it is posted. Found out how to correct one, but forgot where to edit it. Btw, I am almost 70 now, and this age allows me to think more about how and what I want to write, unless I have 3 kids pulling me in 3 different directions. Thanks for stopping by and reading my "stuff", just random thoughts.
That's so funny! What grade do you teach?
Hi, Sarah. I teach developmental writing in a community college. My students should already KNOW these things by the time they reach college.
Maddening, isn't it? I used to have problems getting kids to follow the simplest directions even when I was teaching at colleges I probably couldn't have gotten into when I was college age. Worries me, really.
I think a lot of it also boils down to pure laziness. I know that sounds harsh, but I get a lot of submissions where it seems people may have used spell checker and let it go at that. One of my pet peeves! lol
And... it's not just kids. :-/ In my case, they are adults who call themselves "writers." ..."Oh, I don't have to worry about spelling; that's why there are editors."
Okay.. climbing down off the soapbox....
Oh my gosh, this was so funny. I really don't know how kids are being raised today. My daughter is a recruiter for a well known company. This week she had two mom's call to make interview appointments for their sons. Both mom's said they were calling for their sons because the boys were studying for their exams! I can't believe this. When will parents let their kids grow up and take responsibility! Anyway, great blog.
My wife throws things at me because I don't hear tenses. She's an English Major and after 40 years of of trying to teach me she will openly admit she could never make me understand all the parts of speech. I ask her what the heck do I need that stuff for? I started writing at 50. The way I hear things makers her smile and sometimes brings on a chuckle when I use the wrong word, but it's spelled right. I'm glad I didn't give up. I have 4 nationally published books and am struggling with the fifth.
I like your blog. Don't give up on your hardheaded students.
And please visit my blog
http://www.atkinsontimekeeper.com/
Blessings
Timekeeper, it isn't so much that they were hard-headed. They weren't interested in learning and skipped classes, came late, left early, wandered out on bathroom breaks, refused to pay attention during class. I won't teach developmental writing again! The semester ended in December, and half the students in one of my classes failed.
Bonnie, I think kids today don't see the value in literature because of videos and other electronic tools/toys.
I love learning, but that came late in life. I had children to send through college so I put myself up to bat last.
Read a chapter of Timekeeper on my blog. It was written as my memoir but was published as fiction.
http://www.atkinsontimekeeper.com/
Blessings
I wasn't teaching them literature, but writing. As in, writing a sentence, which they should have learned long before college.
Ok, then you can talk down to them and pitch the failures into the trash.
What are you upset about, Timekeeper? I didn't talk down to them, and they managed to get the "F" all on their own (I don't fail people who try). Mostly, they didn't bother to show up, even for the quizzes and exams, so there was not much I could do about it.
Stumbled on your blog. It's great. Keep up the good work wordsmith!
I enjoyed reading your blog!
You might enjoy this:
http://thesadtruthcomic.blogspot.com/2011/08/august-27-2011.html
Wow... Oh Bonnie. I weep for our future.
It really staggers my faith in our systems when I read the "motivational photos" that people put up on facebook, in which the grammar and spelling completely detract from the message. It's *everywhere* and it seems to be growing.
:(
Scarlett & Viaggiatore
I can relate to your post ~ I'm a student and when I read the postings of my fellow students, I can't believe my eyes. I don't think they're stupid (usually), but just in a hurry to complete an assignment that is due in 30 minutes or less. One post I read was one long sentence with no punctuation or capitalizations. I'm always hoping the grade they receive indicates the poor quality of their writing!
Post a Comment