It's always fun to win a prize,so every girl at camp was eager
to come up with a costume that somehow
represents the month that she was born.
I remember no ideas the others had,
though someone October-born
might think of treats ... or tricks.
Did December become a lighted tree?
September may mean back to school.
Fireworks betoken bright July.
February hearts would do the trick.
Did November's girl dress turkey style?
A long-tailed kite bespeaks March winds.
May flowers, not impossible.
Could June become a big green bug?
But how to show the August heat?
January's winter produces snowflakes,
but how, with no supplies?
We had no "things" we had not packed,
not knowing we must be creative.
With one foot sandaled, one clad in shoe,
sloppy shirt donned wrong-side out,
As April's child, sock on one hand,
my garb was really foolish and
I won the foolish prize!
__________
(P.S. I googled those 1970s campers to use with this Weekend Wordsmith prompt.)



1 comment:
I love the whimsy! Thank you!
Post a Comment