One of my frustrations has been having to read my students' papers that are full of misspelled words. Daily Writing Tips has come up with a wonderful online spelling test we can take. Before offering it to you, I wanted to be sure I could spell. For the record? I made 100% on the spelling test!Now it's your turn: DWT spelling test. When you finish, come back here and tell us your score.
Here are some words that may cause problems:
accept ~ exceptOne problem I haven't seen anyone else discuss is the word "of" misused like this:
loose ~ lose ~ loss
whether ~ weather
by ~ buy ~ bye
wreck ~ wreak
here ~ hear
to ~ two ~ too
for ~ four ~ fore
elicit ~ illicit
peace ~ piece
do ~ dew ~ due
know ~ now ~ no
knew ~ new
then ~ than
creek ~ creak
discussed ~ disgust
write ~ right ~ rite
cent ~ sent ~ scent
wear ~ where ~ were
there ~ their ~ they're
arc ~ ark
whose ~ who's
close ~ clothes
bare ~ bear
cite ~ sight ~ site
chilly ~ Chile ~ chili
affect ~ effect
aisle ~ I'll ~ ile
bored ~ board
advice ~ advise
decent ~ descent ~ dissent
choose ~ chose ~ choice
write ~ right ~ rite
bald ~ bawled ~ balled
holy ~ wholly ~ holey
alter ~ altar
here ~ hear
break ~ brake
lightning ~ lightening
meat ~ mete ~ meet
allowed ~ aloud
its ~ it's
of ~ off
would of ... instead of ... would've (would have)Have you seen or heard (or used) any of these?
could of ... instead of ... could've (could have)
should of ... instead of ... should've (should have)
must of ... instead of ... must've (must have)
That's a mute point.But sometimes misusing a word can be fun, like in the bumper sticker that says, "Visualise whirled peas" ... or the poster shown above. Oh, you want the corrected sentences? Okay.
Don't take him for granite.
For all intensive purposes.
Bob wire fences.
That's a moot point.Wikipedia says, "Barbed wire [is] also known as barb wire."
Don't take him for granted.
For all intents and purposes.
Barbed wire fences.
These are called eggcorns:a tough road to hoe (a tough row to hoe)Click the link to learn about eggcorns.
antidotal evidence (anecdotal evidence)
bread and breakfast (bed and breakfast)
fast majority (vast majority)
flaw in the ointment (fly in the ointment)
hone in (home in)
internally grateful (eternally grateful)
old timers disease (Alzheimers Disease)
on the spurt of the moment (on the spur of the moment)
outer body experience (out of body experience)
put the cat before the horse (put the cart before the horse)
throws of passion (throes of passion)
windshield factor (wind chill factor)



2 comments:
Great post, Bonnie, which I must get my head around more when I'm back online properly. Our internet connection is down and I've just got back from Dublin. I will get on to those new guardians and friends of the writing circle when this technical headache has passed as well. Also, don't forget that my email address has changed. It is now: seamuskearney@gmail.com Not the one you were sending stuff to; it wasn't always reliable. :-)
Spelling is very often not the problem when I am editing work - it's the missed out words! I am very guilty too.
Post a Comment