Gallimaufry said: "I think the best thing about blogalization is that it involves using technology (which used to be perceived as something maybe sort of dehumanising and impersonal) to make things more personal and make people more connected - to make us all more human to each other, which draws us closer together."All of you who read this are part of the blogosphere (another mouthful), so let's talk about it. Does blogging bring you closer to people in distant places? If so, do you think this kind of connection makes us more human to each other?
My opinion: Yes, I feel closer to Margreet and Jenn in the Netherlands, AV in South Africa, Marg in Australia, Marylyn in Korea, Sharon in Malaysia, Pamela in England, Amy in Spain, Simrit in India, Seamus in France, Catherine in New Zealand, Kelly in Canada, Carole and Stephanie and Dewey and Colleen and Susan in the United States.
Through these people -- and many others I have not named -- I have learned about summer in the southern hemisphere while we in the northern hemisphere have winter, I've learned more concretely the opinion Europeans have of the United States, and I've learned to think of all the world's people as being in the same boat. Some of these things I knew intellectually, of course, but talking with friends in various parts of the world makes these things come alive so that I feel it in my gut. If we are all in this together, then we MUST save the planet from the global warming caused by ... US.Do I believe changes in attitude will happen overnight? Of course not! But it's a start.



5 comments:
This is so true ... oooooo, and I'm mentioned there ... talk about reach! :-)
I would have been of the first to scoff at the idea of making friends through this medium - I didn't think it could happen. I was wrong.
i agree totally.
and we can do our part together.
It has broadened my horizons. And doesn't it help to make us better writers? Blogging is the new talking.
I'm in agreement. The world decreases in size incrementally with each contact established and maintained on-line. As you put it so well, life on the other side of the world becomes real rather than just an intellectual exercise when you're actively communicating daily with people living there! How could that not help but keep us all more human/humane?
Post a Comment