Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wiki Wednesday ~ Thurmond, West Virginia

Time to learn something!
1. Go to Wikipedia.
2. Click on "Random article" in the left-hand sidebar box.
3. Post it!
Here's what I got:

Thurmond is a town in Fayette County, West Virginia, U.S., on the New River. The population was 7 at the 2000 census. During the heyday of coal mining in the New River Gorge, Thurmond was a prosperous town with a number of businesses and facilities for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. The town was the filming location for John Sayles' 1987 movie Matewan since it still possesses many of the characteristics of a 1920s Appalachian coal mining town. This first photo shows downtown Thurmond.

Today, much of Thurmond is owned by the National Park Service for the New River Gorge National River. The C&O passenger railway depot in town was renovated in 1995 and now functions as an NPS visitor center. This second photo shows the depot and and New River bridge. As of the census of 2000, there were 7 people, 5 households, and 1 family residing in the town. During the June 14, 2005 city elections, six of the city's seven residents sought elected office.
__________
I found the article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurmond%2C_West_Virginia
__________

Wait, wait, wait! I was in the New River Valley those times I went to Dublin, Virginia, and I think Colleen has mentioned it on her blog. A little more Wiki research and I found this map:

Aha! The New River flows through all three areas: Floyd and then Dublin in Virginia, and then Thurmond in West Virginia. The river must get deeper or wider by the time it flows from North Carolina, through southwest Virginia, and through West Virginia ... just take a look at the bridge that crosses the gorge near Fayetteville, WV.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really interesting, Bonnie. Isn't it wonderful how learning one thing so often leads you to another...than another... I love the movie "Matewan." But watching it left me drained--so powerful.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Wow... that's just incredible!
7 people.
Guess they can't get the census wrong, and just like every small town, everyone knows your business.

Giggle...


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

S. Kearney said...

What a great idea for those quiet times at work! :-) Also, there's a new writing project up at The Shameless Lions Writing Circle site. Please check it out and I hope you can take part and promote it. Also, check out the "latest news" section.

Anonymous said...

I googled your name to see if I could see a photo of the 6th Bonnie Jacobs, but no luck.

Did I mention Dublin? I may have, but I can't remember what it might have been related to.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

No, you didn't mention Dublin ... I did. I've been there a couple of times (for several days each time) to lead workshops at a church in that district ... in Dublin specifically because I was staying with a pastor and her family there. That's why New River Valley rang a bell with me. You won't find a photo of me (the 6th BJ) online because I haven't figured out yet how to input my camera into Donna's computer, which is the one connected to the internet right now. I'll get there, hopefully soon. The reason I had you read about the 6th BJ was because you said you didn't realize I was a former pastor. Now you know.