Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wiki Wednesday ~ Midlist

Time to learn something!

1. Go to Wikipedia.
2. Click on "Random article" in the left-hand sidebar box.
3. Post it!

Here's what I got:

Midlist is a term in the publishing industry which refers to books which are not bestsellers but are strong enough to economically justify their publication (and likely, further purchases of future books from the same author). The vast majority of total titles published are midlist titles, though they represent a much smaller fraction of total book sales, which are dominated by bestsellers and other very popular titles.

Authors who consistently publish acceptable but not bestselling books are referred to as Midlist authors.

Midlist publications were negatively affected by the US Supreme Court decision in the case Thor Power Tool Company v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, which changed how book publishers have to account for and can depreciate unsold inventory each year. This has been somewhat mitigated by the development of online bookselling, which makes less popular titles more accessible to average readers.
________________________________________

Here's a little "fun" reading for writers about what it feels like to be a midlist author. Click on this title, The confessions of a semi-successful author, to read a scathing article by "Jane Austen Doe" about being a midlist author; it's from Salon.com. Here's the blurb:
"I've published several books, won adoring reviews, and even sold a few copies. But I've made almost no money and had my heart broken. Here's everything you don't want to know about how publishing really works."

3 comments:

Dewey said...

I used to entertain myself while eating lunch at work by reading random Wikipedia articles, but now that I blog, I have more than enough blogs to keep myself entertained during lunch. :)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Ouch... that's tough. I guess there's always a majority in the middle.

What do you think the combination is that makes one excellent?

What are they missing?

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Susan Tidwell said...

Bonnie, you want some words to work with? Check out this Creative Writing Challenge contest from Answers.com!