Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Body image

Margreet's post about her Body Image Collage
The second assignment in my course with Sarah Ban Breathnach is to make a collage on Body Image. How do you see yourself, what's important for your body, what do you love about your body, or that of others. As you can see I went from young to old. The ballet girl represents me as a child. I did classical ballet from age 5 til 11. Every year we had a performance in the Stadsschouwburg (City Theatre) in Groningen. All those skinny girls in tutus, I LOVED IT!! The woman in the middle rides a bike, something I often do. I added Irene Moors (the woman in the left upper corner) because I admire her as a TV host. She is who she is, sweet and full of zest, and she refuses to diet. My kids grew up with her program Telekids, I love her humor. The elderly lady is 90 years old. I want to be like her when I'm 90! Furthermore I added lots of things about bodycare. Healthy food, drinking water, and skincare. It was pretty fullon to work on this collage. You really start to think about what's important for you. Before I had selected these images I did alot of thinking!

My response to Margreet:
Thank you for sharing your collage. I learned something more about you, that you took ballet for years! My mother, my sister, and my granddaughters took dancing lessons as young girls, but I chose music lessons instead. Rather than learning to be graceful, my body learned a different kind of coordination: how to throw a ball, hit a ball with a bat, and run like crazy to catch the ball or to reach a base. I climbed trees and ran foot races with the other children in my neighborhood, but I didn't learn to move gracefully with the music. I'm glad to know that about you, Margreet.

No comments: