Saturday, April 14, 2007

Something about me

Lisa at Breaking the Fourth Wall has started a new blog for the "Something about me" challenge. She says to "choose up to 5 books that represent you in some way...if you are a stay at home mom, maybe the main character does that, too. If you are a scientist, maybe the main character is one. Or maybe you live in New York City and it's such a part of who you are that you choose a book set in the city. In any case, you will choose some books that would help us get to know you."

These are five good books that say "something about me."

1. Evensong by Gail Godwin ~ This novel's main character is the church's first woman pastor. She's Episcopalian and I'm not, but some of her experiences are like mine when I was ordained and went into a field where I was often the first woman churches had ever had in their pulpits.

2. On Tap ~ by J. Frances Alexander ~ Chattanooga, my hometown, is the setting for this novel about the vulnerability of America's supply of safe drinking water to the attack of terrorists. Can you tell I'm also interested in environmental issues?

3. Booked to Die ~ by John Dunning ~ A mystery involving bookstores that deal with rare and out-of-print books, this book was a learning experience for me when, after retirement, I worked for such a store. Later I was bookstore manager at a store in a small town south of Chattanooga, before opening my own bookstore. In none of these situations was there a bookstore murder to solve as in this book of fiction!

4. Go Out in Joy! ~ by Nina Hermann Donnelley ~ The author shares what it's like to work as a hospital chaplain. I first read this book while in seminary, when I too was struggling to learn how to deal with patients and their relatives, especially when parents were fearful for the health of their small children. My group of intern chaplains was assigned to a large hospital in Atlanta, and I prayed I would not get the pediatric ward. You did notice the word "children" above, right?

5. The Dance of the Dissident Daughter ~ by Sue Monk Kidd ~ This nonfiction book chronicles Kidd's religious awakening and transformation. Although we have arrived at somewhat different places, we both had to work through the patriarchy in our religious traditions. "Awakening" is a great word for what I felt when I reached a point in my life when I could articulate what I believed and why. (Heather, who is reading this book, had a dream.)

Now to choose from the books OTHERS have listed:

1. The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes ~ two copies, one at Northgate Branch Library ~ Chris at Book-a-Rama chose this and said: "(Non-fiction). This is the true story of Sykes mapping of mitochondrial DNA to seven clan mothers of Europe. I have an interest in genetics and genealogy. I thought the idea of Europeans being able to trace their ancestry to 7 woman fascinating."


2. Place Last Seen, by Charlotte McGuinn Freeman ~ one copy at Ooltewah Branch Library ~ Wendy of Caribou's Mom chose this one and said: "This book is a touching novel about a lost child and the search which ensues to find her. It represents me on a couple of levels. I have been involved in Search and Rescue for almost ten years now (the first 7 of those years was with my Search and Rescue dog - Caribou- and now I'm a certified Tracker I for my county team). In addition, the child in this novel has Down's Syndrome. As a licensed Physical Therapist, I work with children and adults with developmental disability. McGuinn Freeman does an outstanding job of portraying both the search teams and the family of this little girl."

3. The Happy Room by Catherine Palmer ~ four copies, one at Northgate Branch Library ~ Twiga of Book Addict 4 Life chose this one and said: "This book is the story of adult missionary kids with flashbacks of their lives growing up in Africa. As a missionary kid myself, this book really resonated. It gives a great perspective of some challenges that missionary kids face."


4. Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman ~ I own a copy ~ chosen by Raidergirl3 of An Adventure in Reading, who said, "Fiction. This little dreamy, philosphy book is better the more and more I read it. I read it aloud to my grade twelve physics classes every year and some really like it. Others just stare in confusion, because it is not the type of book they usually read. Lightman writes of 'thirty dreams in as many nights' imagining what dreams Einstein might have had in developing his theory of relativity, in which he reconstructed how we see time. Different theories of time, like: what if time flows backwards? time is finite? there is no concept of future? time is circular?"

5. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson ~ four copies, one at Northgate Branch Library ~ chosen by Raidergirl3 of An Adventure in Reading, who says, "Nonfiction. I love science, always have. I'm still in high school, teaching science because I love it so much. The beauty found in nature in all its glory, and the scientists who recognized the phenomena and put the order and structure to explain; it all blows my mind. And Bryson is humorous in explaining nearly everything. Science and funny. I love this book."

6. Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott ~ one copy at Ooltewah Branch Library ~ chosen by Think Pink Dana, who said: "Chosen because I love her. I don't agree with everything she says all the time, but I love her "cock-eyed" way of looking at faith and God. I came to my own faith bass-ackwards and am the world's most reluctant pastor's wife. And I'm not afraid to drop the f-bomb in a crisis. Anne and I get along just fine."

No copies of these in my library:

7. The Wall Jumper by Peter Schneider and Ian McEwan ~ chosen by Heidijane of Adventures in Bookland, who said: "I was born and spent my early childhood in a divided (West) Berlin."

8. My Desert Kingdom by Jill Koolmees ~ chosen by Sally from Downunder, who said: "(Non-Fiction) - I spent the first 10 years of my life being dragged from country to country by my parents. I do enjoy travel, although only recently started agin, and have been to Egypt, which is not Saudi Arabia but pretty close. Saudi Arabia may now have incredibly wealthy people - but they also have incredible poverty. It is good to learn about other cultures. Jill, an Australian, travels there with her husband and lives there for two years. This is the story of the country through her eyes."

Books they chose that I've already read:

1. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson ~ chosen by Wendy.
2. Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald ~ chosen by Chris.
3. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri ~ chosen by Heidijane.
4. Heidi by Johanna Spyri ~ chosen by Heidijane.
5. Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck ~ chosen by Kookiejar.
6. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank ~ chosen by Pattie.
7. The Awakening by Kate Chopin ~ chosen by Pattie.
8. Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult ~ chosen by Heather.
9. My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok ~ chosen by Heather.

2 comments:

Dewey said...

Einstein's Dreams is open on my kitchen table right now. I like to read a chapter or two with breakfast. Did you ever see the review of it in my blog?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

No, but I'll go look for it right now. Thanks.