Monday, April 2, 2007

Earth Day


Earth Day is April 22, 2007. I took part in the FIRST Earth Day in 1970 and brought home some literature and at least a couple of buttons I can remember. One button showed a balance on an upside-down V, and the other said "Stop at 2." David was interested, so I showed him that the balance had a person on one side and a tree on the other, meaning we should balance our human needs with the needs of the planet. "Stop at 2" was about population growth and the overpopulation of some parts of the planet. If two parents have only two children, we would not make population growth any worse. After giving it some thought, David said he agreed with the idea. I said, "David, think about it." Suddenly his eyes widened as he realized the personal implications for himself, the third child. Just for the record, I never wore that button.

David may be my third child, but he and his wife chose to "stop at two," one boy and one girl. So did each of my girls, with one girl and one boy each. When one daughter remarried, she had one more daughter because THIS young man had no children. So all of my children kept the population at zero growth for the following generation. Maybe I made a difference.

By the way, I was only pregnant twice. My daughters are identical twins. Does that exonerate me?

No comments: